Tuesday, January 28, 2014

1400 Pounds

This just dropped into my inbox and gave me a momentary fright and even shorter delight. TaxSpam Like millions of people, part of the crap I've had to endure this week was submitting my self-assessment tax form. It's always a sobering thing to do: weighing up how little you've earned from all your labours. So when something like this appears, it's quite natural for your sphincter to give an involuntary contraction and your heart to leap up one nostril. Sadly, it didn't take me long to spot that it might not be a totally legit email. I have to say that whilst I admire the effort these spammers go to make their work look like the real deal, complete with all the official graphics, I'm pretty sure that Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs know the difference between pounds weight and pounds money, and they don't generally go issuing tax refunds in 'lbs'. My refund is apparently 1400lbs but of what, I'm not entirely sure, though I have my suspicions.

No comments: